Planning a visit to Mudgee? There are a bunch of things you can do in and around our gorgeous country town, from gold panning to enjoying a delicious lunch of Yum Cha! Here is a list of my favourites!
1. The Mudgee Observatory is now open to the general public and catering for school groups, organized tours and any member of the general public who wishes to attend. The observatory is situated 15 minutes drive to the west of Mudgee in a location of extremely dark skies away from the town lights and the lights of Ulan mines. The experience is suitable for everyone of all ages.
2. History Hill & Underground Mine & Museum in HillEnd is an informative and fun day out for everyone. Visit History Hill and experience what it was really like during Australia’s gold rush period. See the underground mine and extensive museum exhibits dating back to the 1850’s. Whether you are looking just to wander at your leisure around the area or book in to a gold panning tour, Jhob will look after you. Bookings are essential if you are looking at doing a guided tour and Jhob's number is 0421 729 955.
3. Mudgee Honey Haven is a place I visit time and time again. Their honey ice-cream is just delicious as is their honey mead. There are plenty of products made with honey to choose from including soap, skin products, sauces and candles. Don't miss out on your visit to Mudgee, it is well worth the stop!
4. Putta Bucca Wetlands is located off Putta Bucca road just north of Mudgee. This waterbird paradise exhibits a wide range of flora and fauna and is easily accessed with a parking area. It includes an easy 2km walk and two newly built birdhides. This is a recreational area for birdwatching, bicycle riding, fishing and walking.
5. The Drip Walking Track in the Goulburn River State Conservation Area, meanders beside Goulburn River to The Drip, or 'the Great Dripping Wall’. Rain water trickling through the porous rock wall makes it a cool oasis. A great place to take a dip on a hot day and a magic place in the cooler months to take a hike.
6. Mudgee was made for ballooning! With its rolling hills, surrounding mountains and beautiful valley, conditions are perfectly suited for hot air ballooning. Jump aboard with Balloons Aloft where you meet at Blue Wren Wines on Ulan Road, the sunrise balloon flights are approximately one hour in flight duration and are followed by a delicious champagne breakfast on landing. Country Escape Tours has a package deal where you get your flight, breakfast and a half day wine tour inclusive. Contact us on 0450 654 260 or email email@example.com for more details.
7. Rylstone Olive Press is just 30 minutes from Mudgee and with award winning olive oils it is definitely worth a visit. Their olives are pressed within six hours of harvest on the very same day, guaranteeing you the finest and freshest extra virgin olive oil that is full of flavour.
The Rylstone Olive Press is a 100 per cent Australian owned and operated family company, supporting their local community and working with other Australian growers.
Contact them for a tasting or tour via our link.
8. 29 nine 99 Yum Cha & Tea House is featured on Getaway, Eat Australia and Sydney Weekender, just to name a few. Located inside the Bridge View Inn, a beautiful sandstone building in the historic town of Rylstone , and is operated by Chinese artist Na Lan. Delicious dumplings and authentic Chinese teas will change your perception of country dining!
9. Gulgong Pioneer's Museum was established in 1962 and is home to one of the finest collections of Australiana in the country. Located in the old Times Bakery and Produce Store in the heart of historic Gulgong, the award winning museum’s collection includes a comprehensive array of domestic tools and utensils, farm and mining equipment, horse drawn vehicles, early photographs, Aboriginal and geological artifacts, period clothing, and buildings dating from Gulgong’s heyday during the turbulent Gold Rush days of the 1870’s
10. Rosby Estate Art Workshops operate throughout the year for beginners right through to advanced students. The tutors are experienced and highly accomplished artists who will impart their knowledge in an engaging, fun and interactive way. Whether it is learning to weld to create art or to paint don't miss out. Also don't miss their Sculptures in the Garden weekend this year, October 12 & 13.