When planning your trip to Mudgee don't be afraid to bring the kids along. Mudgee has various fun activities which will keep them entertained ensuring they will have a great time on their visit. Here is a list I have compiled where all the activities run year round.
1. Gold Panning at Hill End: Just an hours drive from Mudgee is the historic gold mining town of Hill End. Meet up with Jhob Drinkwater who will provide the equipment and knowledge of what to do, or take a tour into the underground mine. Contact Jhob on 0421 729 955. Prices for gold panning are $10 per adult and $7 per child.
2. Mudgee Miniature Railway Rides: This 3.5 and 5 inch gauge railway is awesome fun for the kids and operates on the second Sunday of each month. The rides are either behind petrol, steam or electric powered engines so the kids need to wear enclosed shoes. Tickets are $2 per ride or $10 for unlimited rides. You can check them out here.
3. Horse Riding: Bring the kids along on our Horse Riding Tour, if they are under 10 a guide will walk beside the horse for 45 minutes and 10 years and over can join the adults on the trail ride. Our half day Horse Riding Tour includes your horse ride, a cheese or wine tasting and a visit to the Honey Haven where you can enjoy honey ice cream. Prices start from $175 per adult and children $120pp. Contact us on 0450 654 260 for availability.
4. Mudgee Observatory: With our giant night sky and no city lights to distract it, what better place to check out the stars but at the Mudgee Observatory. Located just 15 minutes to the west of Mudgee in a location of extreme darkness, the kids will have access to a variety of telescopes as well as a theatre and flat screen planetarium which runs features on the night sky and sun. It is not only entertaining but educational for people of all ages. Session times vary depending on the season so phone John Vetter on 6373 3431 to check on availability. Prices are $40 for a family of 2 adults and 2 children or $15 per adult and $10 per child.
5. The Drip: Located only half an hour from Mudgee is a fabulous hike for the kids. Large natural sandstone formations allow water to seep through the gorges and to drip into the pools below. There are some steps, handrails and uneven rocks so supervision is a must as is enclosed shoes. The hike is 2.8 kilometres return and takes 1-1.5 hours. Perfect in the warmer months as it is usually 10-15C cooler in the gorge. Find directions here.